Friday, May 2, 2014

Day 3 of Digging at the Glunk Site

Today was once again nice out and thankfully not very muddy (we had been slipping a lot yesterday). It was, however, cloudy and a bit colder out. Once again I was on my own but Professor Van Auken sifted for myself and Dru Keyser which allowed us to dig more than we had yesterday. Both our digging partners were sick today. I was able to finish up the South East Quad today, bringing it down level with the other quads. Form there I proceeded to dig the South West Quad down to the bottom of level 2. Level 2 was determined by a soil change, namely a change from the darker clay of the historic layer to a lighter sandy matrix of the prehistoric layer. In my pit this change occurred around 11-12 inches in depth meaning that level 2 was only a couple of inches down. I was also able to start excavating the North West Quad down through Level 2, but I was forced to stop early as we packed up due to a possibility of rain.